...Beauty in Chaos...: Break Down

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Break Down

Today was a lovely day for me and the kids... it was terrible for Chris.
The day started early, we had to get to a carpool drop off so Chris could rendez-vous with two young ladies on their way to St. Andrew's by the Sea, NB. Chris is doing a professional development program, for the next week, there. One of these ladies put out a call, wanting to know if anyone needed a ride, and we decided that it might save us some money if Chris caught a ride.
We got a call as we were headed out the door saying she was running late... by an hour. She had emailed the night before to say her air conditioning wasn't working... so we were getting a little nervous. I drove Chris to the drop off and all looked well, a smallish K type car.
I headed home to the kids and Grandparents who were having a fabulous time swimming in the pool and gardening. We bundled ourselves into the car around noon and headed to Toronto to see my brother, the trombone player, in a gig at Harbour Front. The day was lovely and the music was really fun. The kids were happy, Sam didn't quite make it to the toilet at one point and peed on my mom! But I had remembered a change of clothing for Sam, just in case (how crazy is that... I never remember!) We stayed all afternoon and arrived home around 6:30 pm. That's when we got a call from Chris. I figured he was calling to let me know they had made it to Montreal and were settled in for the evening.
Nope.
The car had broken down, over heated - water cooler? After Kingston and before Cornwall... (Brockville maybe?) All the service centers were closed by then, of course, and the owner of the car was rather indecisive about a plan of action. Chris asked me to call later and he'd give me an update.
Meanwhile, in Stoney Creek at my parents house... My brothers and their spouses and three childhood friends, stopped by to say hi and meet the kids. It was really fun to get caught up with these old friends. They all headed out for an evening on a patio somewhere and the rest of us had a great dinner. Sam was so tired that he asked if he could go to bed! This never happens... Sam is a "never say die" kinda kid! We called Chris so Sam could get his bedtime "Noodle" Story - Daddy makes up funny stories for Sam. I also got a story.
They were now at a B&B for the night and some guy, who's a mechanic, is going to help them get a part at Canadian Tire, in the morning, and fix the car at his house -small-town north america... everyone fixes cars for fun!
Assuming the car works... they're going to drive through the states tomorrow, to make up for lost time. Chris is tired and frustrated and contemplating spending our lives savings, if he has to, in order to get home (at the end of the week) by other means of transportation! I support him fully!
I finished my evening by saying prayers with Sam and having a nice cup of decaf on the back deck with my mom. I am distracted, worried and sad that my husband is having such a terrible time. It can only get better, right?
If you're reading this, Chris, I love you very much!

P.S. Audrey is 7 months today. We love her too.
Ruth at 9:50 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger Preston said...

Chris' trip sounds sucky.

I will keep him in my prayers.

July 24, 2005 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea - I've finally had a chance to read it, and yes, the trip stunk. But I'm here now and all is great. Love you too.

July 26, 2005 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home