...Beauty in Chaos...: Thanksgiving Dinner 2005

Monday, October 10, 2005

Thanksgiving Dinner 2005

Well... Saturday of the Thanksgiving weekend started alright...
I returned home from work around 2:30 pm. Chris was just returning from a walk with the kids, they had both fallen asleep. Chris told me that Sam had been stung by a wasp! Poor little guy!
When Sam woke up he was still in pain and seemed out of sorts. Over the course of the afternoon and early evening he got worse and seemed to be running a fever, I gave him some Motrin. He went to bed at 5 pm.
Around ten I was summoned, with a pitiful little voice, to Sam's bed side. He said his side hurt. Just in case, I put out some towels and a bucket for him. Shortly after 10 pm the bucket came in handy. Off came the pj's and sheets. About an hour later the same thing. And again in 1/2 an hour. Out of fresh pj's and sheets I brought him downstairs and he slept on me on the (leather, easy clean up) coach. I was pretty quick to learn the warning signs and get the bucket in position before hand. It was a very long night. Around 7 am Audrey woke up and Sam had been asleep for more than an hour (finally) I woke Chris up and he took Audrey (happy girl, me and Audrey) I slept until 10 am.
Sam hadn't ben sick for hours now and we were feeling hopeful... but a little too much water a little too quickly and... but that was the last time. So Sunday dinner was soda crackers and watered down orange Gatorade!
Friends and family brought us food! We are well taken care of :) So I'm thankful that Sam is well again, that none of us got what Sam had, that we have such wonderful family and friends, and that the weather was so awesome!
It was so lovely today... we went to the zoo to see the white tigers (special exhibit). You can see our pictures if you click on the side bar. Check out the picture of the huge lion lying "spread eagle" on his back enjoying the sun! We all laughed for a very long time!
In other news Audrey is learning her new bedtime (and nap time) routine. Story, song and hugs & kisses, then into her crib with a "Bed time, I love you sweat heart, night night" And then I leave the room no matter what. Long good byes are hard on little kids (I'v been reading all about separation anxiety etc.) I know Audrey's cries well enough to know if she's in pain or just upset. Audrey doesn't get visited until after 6 am. If she cries in the night we don't check on her (it makes it so impossible to get her to sleep again!) we ride it out. The first time we tried it was an hour from 3:30 to 4:30 am. It was awful. But it decreased dramatically after that. Now she rarely wakes before 6:30 am sometimes 7 am!
We are working hard to have her well adjusted (trained!) before surgery. I'm SO thankful for the success we've had so far!
Now that I've said she's doing so well, she'll get up tonight for sure!! (hehe)
Ruth at 8:54 PM

6 Comments:

Blogger hayes said...

awe....that's so sad. I hate it when the kids are throwing up. I can handle everything else just fine but cleaning up puke is not easy.

October 12, 2005 1:36 PM  
Blogger Preston said...

Why don't you take a second go at it, and come down for American Thanksgiving in November?

October 12, 2005 11:47 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

love the new look. i am so impressed with your energy!

go ruthie! go ruthie!

October 13, 2005 7:27 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

oh, yucky! The multiple barfs are just bad news all around.

Your Audrey stories are encouraging to me.

Love the new look. Is that you with long hair or stock photography?

October 13, 2005 10:17 PM  
Blogger hayes said...

Hey the blog is lookin GREAT! I love the picture you have!

October 14, 2005 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - great new look!

October 14, 2005 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home