Political Whore!
That's me! I love elections, federal to be specific. I like to watch the CBC election coverage and feel like the country is, for just a day, completely united in a common goal. To vote. I am very calm as I watch because I know "my party" won't "win". But I know that "my party" will "win" in my riding, unless all the Tree Huggers are at Folkfest that weekend.
I really like the candidate in my riding. He has represented my home very well in Ottawa, getting some good air time once a month or so. He works hard for "us" and he was nice when he came to our door a few years ago (for a petition against Trans Fats!! Kinda funny. I signed). These are not my only reasons for voting for him... I'm not stupid or uninformed. I have done my research and I know my game...
I don't wish to cause controversy on my blog or get anyone irate. I am simply stating my opinion and putting in my buck seventy-five.
I love the NDP platform. While too left for some of my readers... it stands on good Christian ground. Yes, that's what I said. Justice. Social justice. I may not agree with some of the places this takes them... I don't want to change the dictionary/ biblical definition of the word marriage, but I think their voice is needed... Especially if we have voted in a conservative government. (because someone says they're Christian is not enough for me to vote for them, especially if they don't support the little guy etc.) I'm glad the voice is stronger now. I don't know what this government will hold for the arts. The conservatives are the most vague about their "plans". But all anybody said was "we'll continue to support the arts" And for those who say "the arts? Who cares?" I ask you to watch WIT or Truly Madly Deeply without being moved profoundly. Or to read the Psalms without rejoicing. Or to watch a performance choreographed by David Earle without wanting to search your soul and ponder your relationship with God, your neighbour, children or parents... etc!
Whoow! Sorry about that, I got passionate for a second.
I watched the election coverage until way too late. Both my kids woke up as I climbed into bed and were up for a while... I let them cry/ chat in their beds while I attempted to sleep, then I drugged them... They both have colds... I'm not that bad!
Enough is enough... I'm sure we will have much to hate and love about our new government. I'm learning to accept that we will never be satisfied (as a country) about our leadership, and that's A Good Thing. Let us not become complacent.
That's me! I love elections, federal to be specific. I like to watch the CBC election coverage and feel like the country is, for just a day, completely united in a common goal. To vote. I am very calm as I watch because I know "my party" won't "win". But I know that "my party" will "win" in my riding, unless all the Tree Huggers are at Folkfest that weekend.
I really like the candidate in my riding. He has represented my home very well in Ottawa, getting some good air time once a month or so. He works hard for "us" and he was nice when he came to our door a few years ago (for a petition against Trans Fats!! Kinda funny. I signed). These are not my only reasons for voting for him... I'm not stupid or uninformed. I have done my research and I know my game...
I don't wish to cause controversy on my blog or get anyone irate. I am simply stating my opinion and putting in my buck seventy-five.
I love the NDP platform. While too left for some of my readers... it stands on good Christian ground. Yes, that's what I said. Justice. Social justice. I may not agree with some of the places this takes them... I don't want to change the dictionary/ biblical definition of the word marriage, but I think their voice is needed... Especially if we have voted in a conservative government. (because someone says they're Christian is not enough for me to vote for them, especially if they don't support the little guy etc.) I'm glad the voice is stronger now. I don't know what this government will hold for the arts. The conservatives are the most vague about their "plans". But all anybody said was "we'll continue to support the arts" And for those who say "the arts? Who cares?" I ask you to watch WIT or Truly Madly Deeply without being moved profoundly. Or to read the Psalms without rejoicing. Or to watch a performance choreographed by David Earle without wanting to search your soul and ponder your relationship with God, your neighbour, children or parents... etc!
Whoow! Sorry about that, I got passionate for a second.
I watched the election coverage until way too late. Both my kids woke up as I climbed into bed and were up for a while... I let them cry/ chat in their beds while I attempted to sleep, then I drugged them... They both have colds... I'm not that bad!
Enough is enough... I'm sure we will have much to hate and love about our new government. I'm learning to accept that we will never be satisfied (as a country) about our leadership, and that's A Good Thing. Let us not become complacent.






4 Comments:
Hey I really enjoyed the election too. NDP always wins in my area too and I couldn't be happier about it.
Wasn't it interesting how all the rural areas voted CON while the city centres voted LIB? That will make the next few years interesting I think.
Hi Alexandra,
I am afraid that you have been bought in by the line the media wants you to swallow.
Conservatives have seats in lots of urban areas. Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Barrie, Burlington, Cambridge, Niagra Falls, Quebec City, St. Johns. All of these being Cities of over 100,000 with the exception of St. Johns which is the most urban area in Newfoundland.
But the media needs us to believe that the divide exists. Why? because it's interesting.
It use to be that there were no Conservatives in Eastern Canada. That was the Divide, but that ended. So then it was that there were none in Quebec, but that ended. None in atlantic Canada, that ended. The media needs you to feel some disparity. They need conflict. Why else would you watch?
It could also be said that no Conservatives were voted North of the 60th Parallel. But lets be honest, that's not interesting to the majority of Canadians. But since the majority of Canadians live in cities, lets create an injustice for them to follow in the news.
Having said all this, you may think I am pro Conservative. I'm not, I'm pro-ethical journalism.
Don't be suckered.
I think you're right that the media is making a bigger deal of the "rural/city" split, but I can't believe that a Winnipeger would put himself in the same category as Big bad TO! I think we can all agree that the Big Smoke, Montreal and Van have a cosmo. attitude that's quite different than the rest of Canada and considering the Big 3 are a 1/3 of the population I would say that the so-called divide has some merit.
Hey guys
I don't think it's a clear split between rural and urban, and of course the media will make anything a big story if they can. But it is also quite clear that in the urban centres Liberals had a good showing of support. It's not totally made up by the media. I know how to follow maps and charts. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home