...Beauty in Chaos...: Angel Falls

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Angel Falls

Angel Falls or Salto Ángel</b> is the world's highest free-leaping waterfall at 979 metres (3,212 feet) with an uninterrupted drop of 807 metres (2,648 feet). It is located on the Auyan Tepui river. The river that culminates in the drop is the Kerepakupay, in the Canaima National Park, Venezuela at 5°58′03″N, 62°32′08″W.

Although first sighted in the early 20th century</a> by the explorer Ernesto Sanchez La Cruz, the waterfall was not known to the world until its official discovery in 1933 by the American aviator, James Crawford Angel, on a flight whilst searching for a valuable ore bed. In 1936, he returned and landed his plane at the top of the waterfall. The falls are currently named "Angel Falls" after him; interestingly enough, the indigenous name for the falls was "Devil's Mouth".

I saw a part of a documentary called "Freshwater" on CBC newsworld tonight. I was totally taken with this waterfall... The water falls so far, that before it even gets to the bottom, it's only mist! The shots of the waterfall were stunning. The mist catching the sun and creating rainbows and wings of silver ever shifting in the air. I was smitten :0) I also like that the indigenous name was "Devil's Mouth". The danger and the absolutely heavenly beauty. I love being reminded about how much beauty there is in this world.

One can only get to Angel Falls by air. Maybe one day.



Ruth at 11:06 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home