...Beauty in Chaos...: Normal

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Normal

Well, where to start...
Lots going on these days but somehow I feel like I'm spinning my wheels... Some good old "Hurry up and wait".
Our Winnipeg home is sold. The new owners take possession on Oct. 31. We hope to have movers empty the house no later than the 29th and will fly to Ontario on the 30th. Just trying to ruin Hallowe'en for Sam. (ha ha I'm kidding, sarcasm)
I went to Toronto to look at houses, find something that met all our criteria and hopefully put in an offer on something. We put in an offer on one, they countered, we countered, they (the agents) took their time and pushed the rules to the point of being rude and inconsiderate. We decided to walk away. We had a back up plan which we'll put an offer in next. It's a lot nicer, and of course more expensive, but they did drop their price by 40K so it's right in the middle of our price range... still crazy (by Winnipegger's standards)
Here at home I've been doing the Flylady thing... I take this with several grains of salt. It's a lot to take in.... baby steps :o) and some of it I can never see myself doing, lol! Having had the house "showing condition" means that it is SO easy to maintain! Our house is in the best shape ever... it's kinda fun, and it's easy to have people over, even unannounced!
I've also been dancing and taking Reformer classes (Pilates on a machine called a reformer) I hope to start swimming again with a friend and with my kids too.
The job hunt has begun too... I'm looking for some substitute teaching or something interesting to do until we leave to help with the cash flow. I've applied for somethings in Toronto but haven't heard back yet on anything. I'm not too worried on the Toronto front. It'll come. I'm in need of some structure in my days right now so that I don't have time to freak out about all the changes going on.
Chris is working like a dog at CMU and U of W and teaching at the conservatory and privately too. It's a lot, but he's good at it and when you love what you do it's a blessing more than a burden. Chris has been exercising and singing regularly which is awesome. I admire his discipline and dedication. He too has auditions booked in Toronto and is hunting for more work.
The kids are doing really well. Sam is loving school. Montessori is old hat, comfortable and rewarding. French immersion seems to be fun for him, he's getting used to the new room, teacher and some new kids. He regularly reports that he has new friends at both schools. He seems to be enjoying normal life.
Audrey went for a speech assessment today. In preparation for this we had been counting her words and noting the various sounds she makes (we're used to all this from Sam going through speech therapy). Currently she has about 30 words (age appropriate) and has mastered all the sounds for her age plus one or two sounds from the next age bracket. Her voice isn't nasal (a good thing), no air seems to be escaping through the palate to the nose. The surgeon did an amazing job of repairing her palate. The speech assessment ranks her well within normal and they seem to think she may never need speech therapy! That being said, I got lots of tips about what to listen for and how to encourage development of certain sounds (ones that are commonly difficult for cleft palate kids) The assessment was a wonderfully encouraging meeting. I really needed some "normal" news today! YAY!
This has been rambling on... more at another time. Maybe some pictures or a funny video.
Good night y'all!
Ruth at 9:02 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home