5 Years Ago...
On May 1st 2001, my parents and I went to the opera to see the Barber of Seville. Chris was in the chorus. Around 10 pm during Allen Monks big, stormy night, aria, I started to feel "not quite right". I woke during the night a few times with dull spasms... I wasn't too sure what they were. I couldn't get back to sleep.
I got up at 4:30 to see if my Dad was up. He had a very important meeting at Trinity College that day, and they were flying him to Toronto and back in one day. He was already up and having breakfast. I joined him for a cup of tea. We chatted and it was nice. The cab came at 5 am to take him to the airport. I went back to bed. After an hour of tossing and turning... as only a 9 month pregnant person can do, I told Chris that I thought I might be in labour. At 6 am I was uncomfortable enough that I decided to tell my Mom. I went across the hall to her room and woke her. Needless to say Mom was ready for the challenge! She hopped out of bed and got things rolling. Coffee, eggs, showers all around.
I called a few people to let them know that there could be a baby on the way. Kira and Stu were two of these people. Around 8:45 am there was a knock on the door. It was Stu sitting on the most fabulous rocking chair that he a Kira had painted for us. He was holding a news paper and said "morning delivery"! What a great surprise!
Chris had to go off to rehearsals for A Little Night Music, so Mom and I went off to get a TENS machine and then we went to Toys 'R' Us to get a car seat. By this time it was about noon and things were beginning to progress well. I was having "good " contractions but nothing a bit of breathing couldn't help. We dithered for a while and finally decided on one, but they only had the floor model left, we took it. As we exited the store the alarm went off! They hadn't removed the alarm sticker. What was worse is that they couldn't find it and my contractions were getting stronger. There I was "breathing" while they were tearing apart this baby seat! Eventually we headed home with a good story.
Mom was keeping track of the length and frequency of contractions. They were between 3 & 5 minutes apart and about 30 sec. to a minute long. We called the midwife, He Hu, to let her know I was in labour. A little while later I had a contraction that was two minutes long... things felt like they were piggy backing (one after another) I called He Hu back and asked her to come. I had been standing since noon - because it was uncomfortable to sit- I'd walked the dog up and down the boulevard, leaned on trees and hung of tables and chairs. He Hu got to the house around 5 pm. Kira called and asked if she could stop by to give me a supportive hug. Kira and Chris arrived at about the same time. He Hu was checking to see how far along I was. I was 5 to 6 cm and we were going to the Hospital (St. Boniface). Chris was supposed to go back to rehearsal, he was on dinner break, but he didn't. I couldn't sit down so Mom and I went in the back seat of Kira's van... poor Kira drove us to the hospital and did the admitting papers form me.
They tried to make me lie down with a fetal monitor on... I think I lasted less than 5 minutes... they were used to people in early labour I think.
The youth group (I was the youth pastor at St. M's at the time) had made prayer flags all strung together like a banner, Kira hung them up in the LDRP room(labour, delivery, recovery, post partum)
Things got pretty blurry at this point. - That's where my journal entry ends... here's what I can remember after 5 years...
I remember Cara my other midwife (was later one of my midwives with Audrey!) serving me juice, Mom feeding me strawberries and ice chips and Chris holding my hands.
I remember Kira praying.
I remember having my knees knocked out so I would sit on the birthing ball... I kept refusing, but it felt pretty good in the end.
I remember having a very long shower, Chris sitting on the birthing ball eating a sandwich and holding the shower head while I had contractions. (hee hee)
I remember someone saying something like... it will be about another 3 hours... I thought I can't do that! Why would you say that in front of me!?
About 3 hours later, no drugs, 9 1/2 of labour and 20 minutes of pushing, at 10:03 pm, Robert Samuel Kingsley Ruttan Ryan was born! (Iknow the poor kid)
He was 7 lb 1 oz and about 19 1/4 inches long. He had tonnes of black hair. He lached on right away and was very calm.
The first thing I asked for after he was born? My chapstick... if you know me you know I love my chapstick.
I can't believe it's been 5 years! Everyday I love him more and more! He's such an awesome little person!
Happy 5th Birthday Sam!!
I got up at 4:30 to see if my Dad was up. He had a very important meeting at Trinity College that day, and they were flying him to Toronto and back in one day. He was already up and having breakfast. I joined him for a cup of tea. We chatted and it was nice. The cab came at 5 am to take him to the airport. I went back to bed. After an hour of tossing and turning... as only a 9 month pregnant person can do, I told Chris that I thought I might be in labour. At 6 am I was uncomfortable enough that I decided to tell my Mom. I went across the hall to her room and woke her. Needless to say Mom was ready for the challenge! She hopped out of bed and got things rolling. Coffee, eggs, showers all around.
I called a few people to let them know that there could be a baby on the way. Kira and Stu were two of these people. Around 8:45 am there was a knock on the door. It was Stu sitting on the most fabulous rocking chair that he a Kira had painted for us. He was holding a news paper and said "morning delivery"! What a great surprise!
Chris had to go off to rehearsals for A Little Night Music, so Mom and I went off to get a TENS machine and then we went to Toys 'R' Us to get a car seat. By this time it was about noon and things were beginning to progress well. I was having "good " contractions but nothing a bit of breathing couldn't help. We dithered for a while and finally decided on one, but they only had the floor model left, we took it. As we exited the store the alarm went off! They hadn't removed the alarm sticker. What was worse is that they couldn't find it and my contractions were getting stronger. There I was "breathing" while they were tearing apart this baby seat! Eventually we headed home with a good story.
Mom was keeping track of the length and frequency of contractions. They were between 3 & 5 minutes apart and about 30 sec. to a minute long. We called the midwife, He Hu, to let her know I was in labour. A little while later I had a contraction that was two minutes long... things felt like they were piggy backing (one after another) I called He Hu back and asked her to come. I had been standing since noon - because it was uncomfortable to sit- I'd walked the dog up and down the boulevard, leaned on trees and hung of tables and chairs. He Hu got to the house around 5 pm. Kira called and asked if she could stop by to give me a supportive hug. Kira and Chris arrived at about the same time. He Hu was checking to see how far along I was. I was 5 to 6 cm and we were going to the Hospital (St. Boniface). Chris was supposed to go back to rehearsal, he was on dinner break, but he didn't. I couldn't sit down so Mom and I went in the back seat of Kira's van... poor Kira drove us to the hospital and did the admitting papers form me.
They tried to make me lie down with a fetal monitor on... I think I lasted less than 5 minutes... they were used to people in early labour I think.
The youth group (I was the youth pastor at St. M's at the time) had made prayer flags all strung together like a banner, Kira hung them up in the LDRP room(labour, delivery, recovery, post partum)
Things got pretty blurry at this point. - That's where my journal entry ends... here's what I can remember after 5 years...
I remember Cara my other midwife (was later one of my midwives with Audrey!) serving me juice, Mom feeding me strawberries and ice chips and Chris holding my hands.
I remember Kira praying.
I remember having my knees knocked out so I would sit on the birthing ball... I kept refusing, but it felt pretty good in the end.
I remember having a very long shower, Chris sitting on the birthing ball eating a sandwich and holding the shower head while I had contractions. (hee hee)
I remember someone saying something like... it will be about another 3 hours... I thought I can't do that! Why would you say that in front of me!?
About 3 hours later, no drugs, 9 1/2 of labour and 20 minutes of pushing, at 10:03 pm, Robert Samuel Kingsley Ruttan Ryan was born! (Iknow the poor kid)
He was 7 lb 1 oz and about 19 1/4 inches long. He had tonnes of black hair. He lached on right away and was very calm.
The first thing I asked for after he was born? My chapstick... if you know me you know I love my chapstick.

I can't believe it's been 5 years! Everyday I love him more and more! He's such an awesome little person!
Happy 5th Birthday Sam!!






4 Comments:
I think you should post this again in about eight years, and send the link to all Sam's Junior High School friends.
He would be thrilled!
Happy Birthday SAM! We're so sad we missed your party. I hope it was a ton of fun!
Hey, Ruth!
Loved the birth story!
And in regards to your other posts, I was so psyched to hear you got to be involved in that project (and a little jealous...not of dancing per se, but just being able to do something intensively that you love). Too bad you can't be there for the rest...
Hey, I think I know your photographer...he's actually in Nova Scotia right now! (until Saturday morning)
Hope you can make it until post-recital...you're amazing!
Hi Ruth et al,
Eric and I were at the 1 pm recital and were both really impressed on every front. Blessings to you and rest as well.
And Sam, you likely wouldn't recognize us but we knew you immediately. Great job!!
Linda
Post a Comment
<< Home