One More Sleep...
Well it's been 10 days since Chris left for NYC. He has had a fantastic experience as far as I can tell! He's done great singing, made interesting and influential contacts and had a lot of fun!
On our end, it has been one of the easiest trips yet (Chris is often away for 3 plus weeks at a time) I made sure to book a babysitter/ friend/ family for all the times when Chris usually has the kids, and started with a tidy (not clean) house and a stocked fridge. I made it through! It wasn't easy by any stretch of the imagination, but it was doable. I'm so thankful that it was good on Chris' end too!
It's been a full 10 days... With Chris gone I, sadly, had some extra time at night and spent Thursday to Sunday working like a maniac to get some huge work projects done and out of the way. On Monday I had a meeting... in which I KICKED BUTT! It was a really good meeting, I took the bull by the horns and won. It felt good. Not to mention that I got us all up, dressed, fed and out the door 5 min early! The whole day was like that, one check mark after another... Tuesday was one poop after another. It was the exact opposite to Monday... I was behind on everything, so I was rushing and getting more and more tired by the minute. I survived without snapping at my children or coworkers... a successful day, we were all alive at the end. Wednesday is my half free day with Audrey. I've starting going to Breathe, a women's group at the Vineyard (on Main). I have some friends that go and I'm making some new ones. It's really refreshing and a bit nerve racking. My church has no such group, that I know of, and I (we as a family) can't seem to find my groove there right now. It's weird and a bit sad. All our close friends from church have moved away (Africa, USA, etc) or left our church for one reason or another. I have never felt so on the outskirts of something in my life. I feel like I'm in high school again and I can't afford the cool cloths to be part of the in crowd! Blah, Blah, Blah... Anyway this group is refreshing, and they really seem to care for each other.
Here's an example... Two gals, with their little ones, visited a "due any day now" Mom and her 22 month old. They brought flowers and Starbucks etc. While the little guys played (4 under the age of 2 1/2!) The two visitors gave the Mom a foot massage as they enjoyed their treats! I was so moved at the closeness and care these women had for each other! It was beautiful!
I wanted to cry... my horrible envy and insecurity pouring out in every tear!
The Vineyard is a very different church than the Anglican Church. I'm not used to the environment and sometimes find myself asking is this for real? As I mentioned these people know each other well and I am an outsider in that way too. Breathe is more inviting than the cold marble step at the back of the church on Sunday morning. I'm not sure I could ever give up the Anglican Liturgy. It's what I've known since birth and I love it, but I want friends for the journey too!
So, Wednesday night is my long night at the studio 4:45 to 10 pm... it was tiring but really good! The dances I'm working on are looking awesome!
Thursday morning I teach Pilates and Sam does Creative Movement. It was nice, one of my friends is in the class and it's nice to have a quick chat with her. Then it's off to speech therapy with Sam. This is so fun and so rewarding! Sam is doing SO well! It's a relief to have this started and going so well. Thursday evening was a bit rough. "Wubble" We went grocery shopping, which was fine. But bedtime was frustrating... two screaming kids and me pulling my hair out trying not to flip my lid for no good reason! ER was on later to cool my jets! Again, a successful day, we were all alive at the end.
Friday, ah Friday! Sam didn't have Montessori (in service day) so I sent him to Little Lambs for the whole day 8 to 4:30... he had a blast! Thanks to my Breathe group, I knew just what to do (clutter blasting!) I put away all clothing that no longer fit the children, into labeled bins, and I rotated (and donated some of) the toys... I only put out some toys at a time and hide the others, then when I rotate them the kids think it's "new toys". I also did 1500bls of laundry. It was a good catch up day. When I picked up Sam he was in a good mood. We dropped off some of his art to be block mounted (see side bar) there are 4 paintings in total (only three showing) I'm going to hang them in our bedroom above the bed. I also got some sketches mounted. They're from my trip to Paris when I was 17. They'll go in our bedroom too... I'm trying to create a romantic getaway from the chaos of kids!
Saturday... Today. It was a bit twilight zone. One of my teachers was away and his sub didn't show up... he hadn't followed proper procedure for booking subs so it was a little frustrating, but no real harm done. I was frustrated with a different teacher for something and surprised at the actions of my coworker in the office. Just when I think things a going well, something happens to make me wonder if I had been speaking English at the last meeting. I can work it out on Monday... no one's going to die or anything. Perspective is a good thing! My babysitter was a bit late which was fine, but on top of the other stuff I was feeling a little frazzled. The classes I taught went well, the dances are looking good! I also get to teach with someone I really like (a "newer" friend!) so that's fun.
This afternoon was nice. Audrey had a good nap and so did my friend Helen! ;) Friends and their kids came over to play. The older two got along so well and the babies... well they drooled and smiled.
Sam was tired as bedtime approached and had a hard time focusing. Pj's and talking to Daddy on the computer were monumental tasks this evening. A few tears later and he was out like a light. Audrey went down with out a peep! A first for me! As much work as they are, I love them so much I could eat them!
Church tomorrow... which one I don't know... then lunch and a nap for Audrey, making welcome home signs for Daddy and off to the airport at suppertime! I can't wait!
The worst part about Chris being away has been the computer difficulties. Our video chatting had a bug. It was hard for Sam to understand way we couldn't just click and Daddy would appear (child of the 21st century or what!) It was also hard to get our schedules in sync so that we could chat, and you never say everything you want to when your trying to type quickly. How does one sustain meaningful conversation and relationship with one's spouse on adventures like these? There will be a period of adjustment and get to know you again...
So now that I've got it all out of my system and my poor readers (I flatter myself) are asleep with boredom... I'm going to fold the monstrous clean laundry pile!
On our end, it has been one of the easiest trips yet (Chris is often away for 3 plus weeks at a time) I made sure to book a babysitter/ friend/ family for all the times when Chris usually has the kids, and started with a tidy (not clean) house and a stocked fridge. I made it through! It wasn't easy by any stretch of the imagination, but it was doable. I'm so thankful that it was good on Chris' end too!
It's been a full 10 days... With Chris gone I, sadly, had some extra time at night and spent Thursday to Sunday working like a maniac to get some huge work projects done and out of the way. On Monday I had a meeting... in which I KICKED BUTT! It was a really good meeting, I took the bull by the horns and won. It felt good. Not to mention that I got us all up, dressed, fed and out the door 5 min early! The whole day was like that, one check mark after another... Tuesday was one poop after another. It was the exact opposite to Monday... I was behind on everything, so I was rushing and getting more and more tired by the minute. I survived without snapping at my children or coworkers... a successful day, we were all alive at the end. Wednesday is my half free day with Audrey. I've starting going to Breathe, a women's group at the Vineyard (on Main). I have some friends that go and I'm making some new ones. It's really refreshing and a bit nerve racking. My church has no such group, that I know of, and I (we as a family) can't seem to find my groove there right now. It's weird and a bit sad. All our close friends from church have moved away (Africa, USA, etc) or left our church for one reason or another. I have never felt so on the outskirts of something in my life. I feel like I'm in high school again and I can't afford the cool cloths to be part of the in crowd! Blah, Blah, Blah... Anyway this group is refreshing, and they really seem to care for each other.
Here's an example... Two gals, with their little ones, visited a "due any day now" Mom and her 22 month old. They brought flowers and Starbucks etc. While the little guys played (4 under the age of 2 1/2!) The two visitors gave the Mom a foot massage as they enjoyed their treats! I was so moved at the closeness and care these women had for each other! It was beautiful!
I wanted to cry... my horrible envy and insecurity pouring out in every tear!
The Vineyard is a very different church than the Anglican Church. I'm not used to the environment and sometimes find myself asking is this for real? As I mentioned these people know each other well and I am an outsider in that way too. Breathe is more inviting than the cold marble step at the back of the church on Sunday morning. I'm not sure I could ever give up the Anglican Liturgy. It's what I've known since birth and I love it, but I want friends for the journey too!
So, Wednesday night is my long night at the studio 4:45 to 10 pm... it was tiring but really good! The dances I'm working on are looking awesome!
Thursday morning I teach Pilates and Sam does Creative Movement. It was nice, one of my friends is in the class and it's nice to have a quick chat with her. Then it's off to speech therapy with Sam. This is so fun and so rewarding! Sam is doing SO well! It's a relief to have this started and going so well. Thursday evening was a bit rough. "Wubble" We went grocery shopping, which was fine. But bedtime was frustrating... two screaming kids and me pulling my hair out trying not to flip my lid for no good reason! ER was on later to cool my jets! Again, a successful day, we were all alive at the end.
Friday, ah Friday! Sam didn't have Montessori (in service day) so I sent him to Little Lambs for the whole day 8 to 4:30... he had a blast! Thanks to my Breathe group, I knew just what to do (clutter blasting!) I put away all clothing that no longer fit the children, into labeled bins, and I rotated (and donated some of) the toys... I only put out some toys at a time and hide the others, then when I rotate them the kids think it's "new toys". I also did 1500bls of laundry. It was a good catch up day. When I picked up Sam he was in a good mood. We dropped off some of his art to be block mounted (see side bar) there are 4 paintings in total (only three showing) I'm going to hang them in our bedroom above the bed. I also got some sketches mounted. They're from my trip to Paris when I was 17. They'll go in our bedroom too... I'm trying to create a romantic getaway from the chaos of kids!
Saturday... Today. It was a bit twilight zone. One of my teachers was away and his sub didn't show up... he hadn't followed proper procedure for booking subs so it was a little frustrating, but no real harm done. I was frustrated with a different teacher for something and surprised at the actions of my coworker in the office. Just when I think things a going well, something happens to make me wonder if I had been speaking English at the last meeting. I can work it out on Monday... no one's going to die or anything. Perspective is a good thing! My babysitter was a bit late which was fine, but on top of the other stuff I was feeling a little frazzled. The classes I taught went well, the dances are looking good! I also get to teach with someone I really like (a "newer" friend!) so that's fun.
This afternoon was nice. Audrey had a good nap and so did my friend Helen! ;) Friends and their kids came over to play. The older two got along so well and the babies... well they drooled and smiled.
Sam was tired as bedtime approached and had a hard time focusing. Pj's and talking to Daddy on the computer were monumental tasks this evening. A few tears later and he was out like a light. Audrey went down with out a peep! A first for me! As much work as they are, I love them so much I could eat them!
Church tomorrow... which one I don't know... then lunch and a nap for Audrey, making welcome home signs for Daddy and off to the airport at suppertime! I can't wait!
The worst part about Chris being away has been the computer difficulties. Our video chatting had a bug. It was hard for Sam to understand way we couldn't just click and Daddy would appear (child of the 21st century or what!) It was also hard to get our schedules in sync so that we could chat, and you never say everything you want to when your trying to type quickly. How does one sustain meaningful conversation and relationship with one's spouse on adventures like these? There will be a period of adjustment and get to know you again...
So now that I've got it all out of my system and my poor readers (I flatter myself) are asleep with boredom... I'm going to fold the monstrous clean laundry pile!






8 Comments:
sounds like you had a "super woman" week. Being able to keep perspective and get through a few tasks while keeping your sanity and not loosing it with coworkers or kids -- you're doing OK there girl!
The church thing is hard. I've found through the years unless you put in the time and energy the anglican church doesn't have alot to offer other than its liturgy in terms of connection and support. This is a wonderful support, don't get me wrong, but small comfort when you long for connection. Maybe thinking in terms of Vineyard (or somewhere else) AND St M's (or anglican church in genreal) would help??
WOW this was the longest post I have ever read! I bet it's nice to have your husband back.
I hope you had a good time at church on Sunday. I always found going to a new church difficult (I have moved alot which mean new churches). I think that God will lead you to where you need to be.
oh ya and I had fun with Sam. He is so freakin CUTE!
makes you wonder how single moms do it....they are amazing!
We're lucky that when our Hubbies go away....they soon come home, and all is well again. What a blessing.
....I totally didn't see you at church! Unless...were you sitting beside Alexandra? I was the one leading worship (on piano)
Ruth it sounds like you survived in fine form with hubbie away.
It was fun to have you at Breathe - seemed like you fit right in. You are so welcome to whatever you want to come to at WCV.
Reading your blog comments were interesting - about feeling like the new kid without the cool clothes - or something like that. I so know that feeling, from moving around a lot (before WInnipeg), but think that often others can't see us feeling that way - I think it is much more obvios to the one feeling those feelings. I hope I am making sense. My mind is tired. I had a bad sleep last night - had to wake up early for work and kept waking up worried I would miss my alarm.
i bow to you, oh superwoman! only wuble. impressive.
can you tell me more about the breathe group?
and re-adjusting to hubbie being gon is sometimes more difficult than having him gone. hopefully you guys have a chance/time (hee-hee) to figure that one out.
thanks again for the nap.
Alexandra...
Hey....on MY blog you said that MINE was the longest post you'd ever read! hhahahahaha
Yvonne I know. I read this one first then yours. So (sorry Ruth) Yvonne wins for longest post!
Post a Comment
<< Home