...Beauty in Chaos...: Crazy Three Days!

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Crazy Three Days!

We have had a crazy three days!
I started with wonderful news on Thursday. Sam has been in speech therapy for 12 weeks, so Ida Marie (the therapist) retested him to see his progress. In September Sam got 46 wrong". This time Sam got 26 "wrong"!!! For a 4 yr and 7 month old he is on the very bottom end of normal (going from the 4th % aisle in September) For a 4 yr and 8 month old, he is just mild !! (he's 4 and 7 1/2 months) This is so awesome. Ida Marie says in her 12 years she has only had three kids improve so rapidly. I'm So proud of him! The best part is hearing him say words like, more, water and monkey which at the last test were, Lore, Larler and Nuntey. Of course Ida Marie patted us, the parents, on the back for working so hard with Sam at home. I'm so proud of us, haha! People can actually understand Sam, for the most part, when he speaks to them!
Friday... Friday I called the Cleft Palate Nurse Coordinator because I had a lot of questions about Audrey's recovery. I have been generally unimpressed with the communication from this department. I feel like I haven't been given any guidelines that say what is "normal", or what things might look like, what to watch for etc. I found out that the nurse was on HOLIDAYS!!!! I got the other nurse person filling in for her. She answered some questions and said we might want to see our pediatrician about Audrey's cough and low temperature. So off I went to see our doc. He put Audrey on heavy duty antibiotics, just incase. He listened and took all my questions seriously, awesome, finally. I told him I'd seen sweet potato coming through Audrey's nose the other day and then again that day so he said he'd have a look at her palate. He prefaced with "I don't really know much about this, I don't usually see them this "fresh"..." He thought he saw a hole. We checked again after some chatting. He let me look. I thought I saw "something" too. He gave us some free antibiotics and said maybe we should call the nurse back and let her know. By this time it was 3:30 on a Friday. No one was answering the phone and we didn't want to leave a message. This is where my husband became a little more aggressive and played "dumb". He paged the on call resident plastic surgeon. Chris managed to get us a visit with the resident. So now it's 5 pm on a Friday, and all four of us treck off the the Children's Emerg. Meal while, Audrey is fine, happy, and babbling in the back seat. Dr. Ross, Audrey's surgeon, came down himself to have a look at her. He got the whole story (as you have now) and took a look. He said that she looked great! He said there was now way to know yet if there was a hole, he couldn't see anything so our doc would not have seen anything either. To the untrained eye the place where he took skin from may have appeared to be a hole, but he said that looked like it was healing well. He was really nice about it all and was glad we came in because there are some cases were treatment is needed (like if a child gets thrush it can open the stitches and they need to treat it) Off we went totally relieved, but feeling a little worse for wear!
Then there is this morning. Our furnace fan belt broke! It was 16 degrees in the house :( We called the furnace guy and he came and replaced the $5 part for $115! Labour and over time because it's the weekend! The furnace is working and is MUCH quieter now.
Sam and I are doing Christmas craft stuff right now and having an uneventful, nice time!
Ruth at 10:23 AM

1 Comments:

Blogger quiltpixie said...

sounds like a chaotic few days. Glad Audrey is doing OK, and good for you getting the answers you needed...

December 17, 2005 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home