For a smile or a laugh on those “grumpy bug” days…
Back at the end of January beginning of February, I had to change my drivers’ license from MB to ON. I did the research… looked on line and called, figured it all out. I found the time and dragged my two little ones on a half hour walk to the Drivers Licensing Office nearest us… not too far, I was thankful. After patiently waiting in line, I was told that I was in the wrong location and that they didn’t do this sort of transfer thing. Ugh! It was almost closing for all the offices so we would have to plan another trip, this time downtown on the subway.
A number of weeks, maybe even a month passed before I was able to find the time and the energy to make the trip, again with my two little ones, to the downtown drivers licensing location. Did I mention it was winter and cold, not MB cold but wet-to-your-bones-cold with a wind? Anyway, there I was. I took my number and had a seat. Naomi took the kids out into the long corridor to run. A short wait and my number was up. I handed in all my papers and ID and waited (fresh lip gloss on for the picture…) The clerk said she had to go ask her manager something… I waited… 20 minutes later she returned and said she couldn’t change my license because my MB license said Ruttan Ryan but the rest of my ID said Ruttan. To make a long story shorter, I needed to have a marriage certificate to prove who I was so I could get an ON license. After much discussion and a conversation with a very rude manager I was fit to be tied! I was going to have to drag the kids here, again! No one had said I would need to prove who I was in order to change my license… no matter what name I wanted on it! I was upset because they were so worried about making sure it was Ruttan Ryan and I kept saying, it didn’t matter I would be happy for it to be Ruttan… but they didn’t get the context from which I was speaking and got very irritated about the issue… eventually I filled out a complaint card and spoke to the manager one more time, she was SO rude! I turned on my heel, with the complaint card in hand walked toward the door… as I was about to leave I slapped the complaint card on the receptionists desk and said “ File that under Fuck You!”
It has become a funny story and one of “our phrases” with my dancer friends. We all have those days!
Eventually I did get back there with a record of marriage, which they said wasn’t enough to get Ryan put on my driver’s license (needed to pay for a certificate/ license of marriage to do that. Fat chance I was putting out cash for that!!) So by default I am Ruttan on all my ID now, and I’m just fine with that!
The best part of the story… I didn’t think of my witty response later I thought of it in the moment!!
A number of weeks, maybe even a month passed before I was able to find the time and the energy to make the trip, again with my two little ones, to the downtown drivers licensing location. Did I mention it was winter and cold, not MB cold but wet-to-your-bones-cold with a wind? Anyway, there I was. I took my number and had a seat. Naomi took the kids out into the long corridor to run. A short wait and my number was up. I handed in all my papers and ID and waited (fresh lip gloss on for the picture…) The clerk said she had to go ask her manager something… I waited… 20 minutes later she returned and said she couldn’t change my license because my MB license said Ruttan Ryan but the rest of my ID said Ruttan. To make a long story shorter, I needed to have a marriage certificate to prove who I was so I could get an ON license. After much discussion and a conversation with a very rude manager I was fit to be tied! I was going to have to drag the kids here, again! No one had said I would need to prove who I was in order to change my license… no matter what name I wanted on it! I was upset because they were so worried about making sure it was Ruttan Ryan and I kept saying, it didn’t matter I would be happy for it to be Ruttan… but they didn’t get the context from which I was speaking and got very irritated about the issue… eventually I filled out a complaint card and spoke to the manager one more time, she was SO rude! I turned on my heel, with the complaint card in hand walked toward the door… as I was about to leave I slapped the complaint card on the receptionists desk and said “ File that under Fuck You!”
It has become a funny story and one of “our phrases” with my dancer friends. We all have those days!
Eventually I did get back there with a record of marriage, which they said wasn’t enough to get Ryan put on my driver’s license (needed to pay for a certificate/ license of marriage to do that. Fat chance I was putting out cash for that!!) So by default I am Ruttan on all my ID now, and I’m just fine with that!
The best part of the story… I didn’t think of my witty response later I thought of it in the moment!!






1 Comments:
Congrats. I never remember the witty retort until later
Post a Comment
<< Home