The story so far...
We arrived in Toronto on November 14th 2006. We stayed with my parents while we finished up all the lawyer, insurance and title details, and got the keys to our new house on November 15th. We spent a few hours at the Eaton Centre (right downtown T.O.) getting our cell phone service all set up etc. I spent most of my time wandering the mall with one kid or the other or both. At one point I was pushing Audrey in the stroller (she was sitting with her back to me) and people were looking at Audrey strangely, or looking at her and then at me strangely. I stopped to see what was up. Audrey had been sick to her stomach! I mopped her up and changed her clothes. She didn’t seem any worse for it and was acting normally so I figured maybe it was just a sour tummy and we were clear. The cell phones were bought and Sam was teaching us how to use them in no time.
We decided to head over to the new house and take a look around. The movers weren’t arriving for another two days so it would be a good opportunity to figure out the space. On our way there in Toronto rush hour traffic (not quite as bad as I’d been expecting…) Audrey was sick again all over herself and her car seat… in my brothers fancy, clean Volvo wagon! (Thankfully the car remained clean!) We did our best to clean her up but we were all a mess by the time we got to the house. As we pulled up she was sick again right in front of the house! Once inside Audrey seemed fine again… we had dinner and Chris’ brother and family came over for a visit and to lend us a blanket for Audrey for the way back to my parents house. We needed it. She was sick all the way home and for the next 4 days.
Sam and Chris greeted the movers on the 17th and things went pretty smoothly. They didn’t reassemble anything (as per the agreement) and they had under estimated the weight of our shipment by 1400 lbs! So we owed almost $800 more than their quote. Moving companies are such a rip off. Nothing seems to be broken, a few dented items etc. but nothing worth crying over.
It’s been about a month and a half now. Sam’s in French immersion and seems to have made a good transition. Chris was back and forth from Wpg several times finishing work and tying up loose ends. It was hard on this end but survival mode is alright once you get the hang of it.
We’ve been doing lots of renovations and discovering lots of new, unwanted, projects as we get into the space. The basement is being turned into an apartment for renting. It’s pretty much set up for that but needed/ needs some cosmetic and plumbing work.
Exactly one month from our move in, the furnace cut out (reminded me of our Wpg house!!) $280 later a new igniter had been installed and all seems to be fine.
We took down some cupboards, cut a countertop, put up a cupboard and so many shelves in all the rooms (NO storage in the place… the kids don’t even have a closet in their room…) We’ve had to be creative. Maybe I’ll post some pics in the near future.
Projects in progress are… building in the dishwasher, installing the new washer dryer (in the kitchen, so some plumbing will need to be done) replacing the ceiling in the basement… wasn’t the plan but a leak from the kitchen pipes while we were away for Christmas created the necessity to pull down the drop ceiling and do some clean up. Finishing and renting the basement apartment.
Future projects will include a kitchen reno (one day…) and bathroom renos. You should see how small our bathroom is! And it slopes so when you sit on the toilet the toilet seat slides… the hinge broke the other day due to the torque. One more thing to add to the list.
Today I finished filling out all the health care forms and gathering all our proof of address and citizenship papers. Tomorrow we’ll drop it all off, maybe get Ontario Drivers Licenses, and continue the job hunt.
Right now I’m getting some “Me” time while Audrey sleeps and Sam is with Chris. Each of us tries to get “Me” time each day to get things accomplished and to be able to catch our breath.
Christmas was great for the kids and I loved being with my family for the first time since 2003. Emotionally it was a bit difficult to “feel” Christmas. I guess that’s to be expected.
I miss the snow. (It’s plus 10 and rainy today… the sun was lovely this morning) I miss having a place that really feels like home. I miss being employed (It’s been six months) I miss all my Winnipeg family and friends.
I loved educating and being with my kids. I love finding creative ways to stimulate their minds and reinforce skills being taught a school. I love finding time to read a good book (currently The Red Tent… yummy)
Needless to say all this change and readjustment has taken a huge toll on Chris and myself. We are both struggling to keep career momentum and enthusiasm. To not be frightened by the “Big Fish Pond”. To keep cool through the frustrations and obstacles. To not be swallowed by life but to be living in the present and find joy in the small triumphs of everyday.
I look at my kids and I smile. They are my joy. They are sustaining me through this, a lot of weight for such small, beautiful shoulders to carry.
I ask for your prayers in this crazy time. I am grateful for your friendships and I love reading updates (emails, blogs, whatever the form!)
As some one commented “…you'll appreciate the other side even more for having traveled the desert....”
With my chin up,
Ruth
We decided to head over to the new house and take a look around. The movers weren’t arriving for another two days so it would be a good opportunity to figure out the space. On our way there in Toronto rush hour traffic (not quite as bad as I’d been expecting…) Audrey was sick again all over herself and her car seat… in my brothers fancy, clean Volvo wagon! (Thankfully the car remained clean!) We did our best to clean her up but we were all a mess by the time we got to the house. As we pulled up she was sick again right in front of the house! Once inside Audrey seemed fine again… we had dinner and Chris’ brother and family came over for a visit and to lend us a blanket for Audrey for the way back to my parents house. We needed it. She was sick all the way home and for the next 4 days.
Sam and Chris greeted the movers on the 17th and things went pretty smoothly. They didn’t reassemble anything (as per the agreement) and they had under estimated the weight of our shipment by 1400 lbs! So we owed almost $800 more than their quote. Moving companies are such a rip off. Nothing seems to be broken, a few dented items etc. but nothing worth crying over.
It’s been about a month and a half now. Sam’s in French immersion and seems to have made a good transition. Chris was back and forth from Wpg several times finishing work and tying up loose ends. It was hard on this end but survival mode is alright once you get the hang of it.
We’ve been doing lots of renovations and discovering lots of new, unwanted, projects as we get into the space. The basement is being turned into an apartment for renting. It’s pretty much set up for that but needed/ needs some cosmetic and plumbing work.
Exactly one month from our move in, the furnace cut out (reminded me of our Wpg house!!) $280 later a new igniter had been installed and all seems to be fine.
We took down some cupboards, cut a countertop, put up a cupboard and so many shelves in all the rooms (NO storage in the place… the kids don’t even have a closet in their room…) We’ve had to be creative. Maybe I’ll post some pics in the near future.
Projects in progress are… building in the dishwasher, installing the new washer dryer (in the kitchen, so some plumbing will need to be done) replacing the ceiling in the basement… wasn’t the plan but a leak from the kitchen pipes while we were away for Christmas created the necessity to pull down the drop ceiling and do some clean up. Finishing and renting the basement apartment.
Future projects will include a kitchen reno (one day…) and bathroom renos. You should see how small our bathroom is! And it slopes so when you sit on the toilet the toilet seat slides… the hinge broke the other day due to the torque. One more thing to add to the list.
Today I finished filling out all the health care forms and gathering all our proof of address and citizenship papers. Tomorrow we’ll drop it all off, maybe get Ontario Drivers Licenses, and continue the job hunt.
Right now I’m getting some “Me” time while Audrey sleeps and Sam is with Chris. Each of us tries to get “Me” time each day to get things accomplished and to be able to catch our breath.
Christmas was great for the kids and I loved being with my family for the first time since 2003. Emotionally it was a bit difficult to “feel” Christmas. I guess that’s to be expected.
I miss the snow. (It’s plus 10 and rainy today… the sun was lovely this morning) I miss having a place that really feels like home. I miss being employed (It’s been six months) I miss all my Winnipeg family and friends.
I loved educating and being with my kids. I love finding creative ways to stimulate their minds and reinforce skills being taught a school. I love finding time to read a good book (currently The Red Tent… yummy)
Needless to say all this change and readjustment has taken a huge toll on Chris and myself. We are both struggling to keep career momentum and enthusiasm. To not be frightened by the “Big Fish Pond”. To keep cool through the frustrations and obstacles. To not be swallowed by life but to be living in the present and find joy in the small triumphs of everyday.
I look at my kids and I smile. They are my joy. They are sustaining me through this, a lot of weight for such small, beautiful shoulders to carry.
I ask for your prayers in this crazy time. I am grateful for your friendships and I love reading updates (emails, blogs, whatever the form!)
As some one commented “…you'll appreciate the other side even more for having traveled the desert....”
With my chin up,
Ruth






2 Comments:
wierdly enough i envy your adventure - perhaps it is b/c i miss ontario? selah was sick, probably around the same time as Audrey, it was a new thing for me, catching vomit for 3or4 days...but humourous...wpg. is such a small little fish bowl compared to Toronto's fish pond...the thought overwhelms me...but as it somehow does, things open up...ways we wouldn't necessarily imagine, turn up...praying ruth...
bonne heureuse annee!
blessings, pj
Ruth, I feel with you. The spirit in you is still burning, it seems, fairly brightly--despite difficult circumstances. May you find hope each day. And me, too!
Post a Comment
<< Home